Why Do Some People Actually Love Going to the Dentist?
When you think of your favorite things to do, activities such as taking a vacation, taking a nap, spending quality time with your family, and relaxing with an adult beverage at the end of a long day top the list. While those might be high on your list of favorite activities, you likely have a list of things you love to do too. Hiking in the woods. Soaking up some rays from the sun. Going to the dentist. And yes, some people love going to the dentist. We’ll tell you why that is.
People love going to the dentist.
According to the National Library of Medicine, dental fear and anxiety affect 36% of the population. Plus, another 12% have an extreme fear of the dentist, often keeping them from scheduling their appointments, leading them to miss out on integral dental cleanings and professional oral care. But why do so many people avoid the dentist at all costs due to their fears and anxiety?
The most common reasons for fear of the dentist include:
- Fear of the unknown
- A feeling of lack of control or vulnerability
- They’re afraid of being judged based on the health of their teeth
- Previous negative experiences at the dentist
But as much as some people fear the dentist, many love the dental experience. Let’s dig into why.
4 Reasons So Many People Love Going to the Dentist
Going to the dentist every six months is one of those things you need to do to maintain your oral health. Although brushing and flossing at home is vital to your oral care routine, only a dentist can remove the stuck-on plaque which has hardened into tartar. And only your dentist has the tools and knowledge to assess the health of your teeth and gums and provide preventive dentistry strategies to keep your mouth healthy for a long time. But when it comes to the dentist, many people have evolved with the new dental techniques that dentists employ today. For this reason and those below, many people today look forward to their time in the dentist’s chair.
1. Your dentist should provide you with a pain-free experience.
Gone are the days of painful dental techniques to remove plaque and assess your oral health. Dental technology has made it easier for you to get in and out of the dental office faster and more comfortably than ever before. Laser dentistry is just one of those techniques that make your visit to the dentist pain-free.
2. Dentists appreciate your right to find a dentist who is best for you.
When looking for a dentist, don’t just thumb through the proverbial yellow pages (okay, surf the internet) for the first dentist you come across. Look for a dentist conveniently located to you, who has a positive reputation, and offers your desired services. General dentists such as your Saint Joseph dentist at Berrien Dental provide general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry services. This means you can get all the care you need for your mouth in one place.
Look for the following traits in your new dentist.
- Look for a compassionate, friendly, fun dentist who listens to your concerns. Your dentist must consider your thoughts when determining the right treatment plan for your mouth. Ensure your dentist takes time for you and pays attention to your needs.
- Seek a dentist who offers dental technology. As we alluded to earlier, laser dentistry is a highly effective and pain-free technology. With dental lasers, the need for an anesthetic is all but eliminated. This means they can repair your cavities (depending on the situation) without the need for an injection.
- Check the reviews for yourself. When you meet with a dentist and their team, they’ll let you know all they have to offer. And it’s important to hear and listen to what they say. But don’t just take their word at face value. Go online and check their patient reviews for yourself.
3. The best dentists are equipped to manage patients with dental anxiety.
Even though some people love going to the dentist, we know dental anxiety impacts many others. So ensure your dentist can help you feel more comfortable during your visit. And there are some things you can do to help your appointment be more effective for you as well.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for a break. Raise your hand if you’re uncomfortable or need a moment.
- Ask questions. Your dental treatment shouldn’t be a mystery. If there is anything specific you want, or think you need, ask if you can have it. Remember that you’re unlikely to be the first person with that particular concern or question. Make sure your dentist adequately addresses your concerns and answers your questions before moving forward with your treatment.
4. Going to the dentist can help you feel better about your smile.
Some people love going to the dentist because of their satisfaction when they leave the appointment. They feel as though they have checked something off their list that is important to their health—going to the dentist consistently. And they’re right. Every time you wrap up a visit in the dentist’s chair, you should feel like you have accomplished something. You’ll have peace of mind, too, that your oral health is in good condition and you have addressed any serious oral health problems.
Going to the dentist can help you look and feel better, too, and what’s not to love about that? If you have an extensive cosmetic or restorative procedure, it’ll help you get your smile back. And believe it or not, some people think of their time in the dentist’s chair as self-care and a special break in the day, almost like going to the spa. Don’t believe us? We promise our patients have told us this!
Your dentist should love their job and enjoy helping you feel better about your smile.
When your dentist loves their job, it can make a huge difference in your experience in their dental chair. Dentists appreciate the ability to go to work daily, cultivate patient relationships, receive respect from those they work with, and provide high-quality dental care in a professional environment. And just as with any job, it can be positively infectious when you love what you do.
Dentists understand there is nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about by various dental conditions. Sometimes things happen! But what dentists do love is helping patients achieve better oral health and a smile they will be proud to show others. And this same way of thinking helps so many patients love going to the dentist! Who wouldn’t love the ability to go somewhere where they are treated as necessary and are the top priority?
When you empower yourself to find the right dentist and get the right tools to care for your teeth and gums at home, there’s hope to not only tolerate your dental appointments, but look forward to them.
Let your Berrien Springs Dental office or Saint Joseph Dentist show you that you too can enjoy going to the dentist!
If you’re ready to change your feelings about going to the dentist, now is the time to request an appointment with Berrien Dental. We’ll show you why we love what we do, all while creating a safe, comfortable, and pain-free experience. Schedule your dental cleaning today.